Wednesday, April 23, 2014
I have been thinking about parallel universes, parallel lives, time being imaginary, and multiverses today. It is really interesting to imagine that they exist - but - if they do, where we are right now as we consider them is all that we are capable of "knowing" as an absolute certainty at the current time.
One experience that I had stands out in my mind as a question that has no answer. I am unsure which of the above concepts it might be more closely related to (if any). About seven years ago, when I was working at the college, I attended a conference on autism in the Albany area. It was close enough to where I live that I drove there. Several colleagues from the college met me at the conference. At lunchtime we all went out to eat together at a nearby restaurant. I made sure to take enough cash that day in case we shared one check (that was back in the days when people actually carried cash). I checked my wallet before I left home. When it came time to pay our bill and I opened my wallet, my money was gone. No one had been near my purse, and so I knew it must be somewhere and I searched for it for some time. Nothing. Of course, I borrowed money to pay my share of the check. When I got back to the conference I searched the bag with my notebook, etc. Nothing. I couldn't get it out of my mind for the rest of the afternoon because I knew it had been there. When I got back in my car to drive home, I looked again. I opened my wallet, and was not really surprised that there it was - my money. Where had it gone and how had it returned? Did the money in my wallet temporarily enter a different time or maybe even a different place?
The following article on parallel lives is interesting: http://www.npr.org/2011/01/24/132932268/a-physicist-explains-why-parallel-universes-may-exist
No comments:
Post a Comment