The Last of the Southern Belles
Thursday, September 9, 2010
What do you want?
In August I went to Omega with Sherry, Cam and Ali. We had registered for a writing workshop. Not caring for the teacher or her teaching methods, we switched to a different workshop for the remainder of the week. We did an exercise on the day that we were in the writing workshop, however, that I did enjoy. It involved writing the beginning of a story using the words, "What do you want ...".
My story beginning was as follows:
What do you want?" I ask the large bird perched on the mantle of the house in Pachuta. Silence. Near the bird the clock ticks. I hear the train - the Southern Pacific - slowing, whistle blowing, as it moves on through town, on to Meridian and into Alabama. Mamie Gordon's photo stares down from the mantle; hair, thin like mine, pulled back into a bun. Her expression is sober, as all expressions seemed to be in portraits of her day. Perhaps it was necessary to present a certain seriousness for antiquity.
I glance at the bird. It sits, silent and still. I ask again, not expecting an answer, "What do you want?" It stares with glassy dark eyes - an expression rather like of of Mamie. It shifts its feet just a bit - a movement so small that I'm not certain that it wasn't imagined. I hear a voice, "Tell my story."
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment